Monday, April 8, 2019

Fort Bend Education Experience and Cancelled Gran Fondo

Saturday was the Fort Bend Education Experience ride. Although this was my longest ride yet, it was all flat and felt a lot easier than a ride with hills - I rode 75 miles this week faster than I rode 60 miles last weekend. It also didn't hurt that the last 30 or so miles had a nice tailwind. 

I had to get to mile 24 by 9:30 or they were going to push me onto the 50-mile course. Although that would have still been a nice long ride, I really wanted to do 75 before the MS150. I got started in one of the later waves of riders since I was standing in a very long line for the port-a-potty. I blew past the first rest stop and only stopped at the second rest stop long enough to refill my water bottle and grab some orange slices. But, I made it to the cutoff on time and got to do the long course. I heard later that several riders got stuck behind a train and ended up missing the cutoff and were mad.


My bib number. It's my birthday! Several people found this humorous for other reasons and one guy wanted to take a photo of it in the rest stop. 

JoAnna and I in the rest stop.

Nice. (I feel like I should caption this photo "A rose by any other name" but the Bonnie Plant company doesn't grow roses)

Around rest stop 4 (45 miles in) everything was starting to hurt. I was sitting on the ground doing some stretches and thinking "I still have 30 miles to go" and getting kind-of discouraged. I really did not want to get back on my bike and keep pedaling, but I did. 

Mack, me, Dina, JoAnna, Mark, and Elizabeth in the last rest stop. Unlike the last rest stop, we knew we were getting close to the end and we had a nice tail wind. 

I got back to my car and felt really great about that ride. Also, I'm so glad I gave my bike some TLC. It was a much smoother ride this week. I went home, showered, and stretched and recovered in the leg compression sleeves. 

Next day:

It's a good thing my ride got cancelled. It was ugly out there.  I was really hoping to do the Gran Fondo. I was registered for 45 miles and it was up in Montgomery and I would have had some good hills to ride on. I was also hoping to get that experience of riding two days in a row. But, it wasn't meant to be. I was sad when it got cancelled, but a little happy that I was going to get to sleep in. 

I took it inside and did a double class at the CycleBar. I started tired and sore and was losing steam by the end of the second class. I messaged Mackenzie when the Gran Fondo got cancelled and told her to give me some hills, and she delivered! Also, her class as 100% Lady Gaga songs, which was really fun. I got in another 26 miles of saddle time and overall I rode 100 miles this weekend. 

I went and got a pedicure after class. Mostly, I just wanted to sit in the massing chair. That felt great. But, I painted my toes blue to match my cycling jersey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment